AVAILABLE IN PAPERBACK & KINDLE
Deborah Sevilla, creator of the Dream Believe Achieve Athletic sport-specific journals and scorebooks, has reached out to help parents ease into the world of competitive gymnastics. This helpful guide was created with the help of coaches from different gyms, judges, sports psychologists, and fellow gym parents from around the world.
Many gyms write and distribute their own policy handbooks to new parents. These handbooks are gym-specific, and offer helpful information regarding tuition, late fees, and practice hours, but fail to explain much of anything else. Parents always wonder whether their gym's policies are the norm or unreasonable. Questions always arise regarding preparation for practices and meets, parental involvement during practices, and proper etiquette at meets.
This guide is loaded with valuable information to answer your questions that are not answered in your gym's policy handbook. You will also find a glossary of gymnastics terms to help decipher "gymnast-speak", as well as forms for you to complete with your own gym's information, contacts, and other important information you need to know. All of this is easily accessible and kept together in this guide
What's Inside - Table of Contents
INTRO BEFORE TEAM
- The Decision: Know what you’re getting into.
- Age: How old is too old or too young?
- Fundraising / Booster Clubs / Parent Associations
- Welcome to the team
- Long hours
- Homework / Home schooling
- Eat, Sleep, Gymnastics: Finding Balance
- Carpool 101
- Changing facilities
- Meet Schedules
- Getting Ready
- In the bag
AT THE MEET
- Meet Etiquette
- What’s Going On?
KNOW YOUR PLACE
- Your support role / not coach or judge
- Are you a Crazy Gym Parent? –Quiz
- According to your peers
- Bribes vs Awards
- Being Supportive
- Stages of gym parents
- Conflicts with coaches, parents and teammates
- Abuse or Motivation
TAKING CARE OF YOUR GYMNAST
- At Home Stretching / Conditioning
- Nutrition / Overall Health
- The dreaded mental block
- Gymnast Nerves / Psyched out
- Spectator Nerves
EXPECTATIONS VS GOALS
- Over confidence
- Olympic Bound?
- Pre team / Prep team / Mini team
- USAG, USAIGC & Xcel
- Junior High, High School, College
IN THE KNOW . . .
- What your coach wants you to know
- What the judge wants you to know
GREAT WEB PAGES AND RESOURCES GLOSSARY OF TERMS
- My Gym My Team
SAMPLE SCOREBOOK PAGE
What People Are Saying on Amazon
What I needed
By Anonymous on August 14, 2016
As a parent new to gymnastics this was just what I needed. Got the scorebook and workbook from the same company. I recommend them all.